Crunch Time Masterpost

Okay, I’m going to write out the process of the last two weeks of this project. Ready? aaaaand…. GO!

Voiceovers

We weren’t able to get nice voiceovers from the Speaking Center, which is fair. Everyone is busy and has their own stuff going on. However, this meant that the artifact videos had to be made with our own voices (yikes). Emily, Sarah and I met up in the HCC on Thursday morning when we didn’t have class. I checked out two microphones form the front desk and we set up shop in the recording booth to knock it out. We tested both mics, used the only one that worked, and got to recording. We were able to get through two before a woman came in and said that she had reserved the booth until noon. oh well.

We ended up going into the Peer Tutoring room to finish the rest of the recordings. Thankfully, we were able to finish right on time at 10:45. I saved the file and uploaded it to our shared google folder. The next week, my teammates said that they were having difficulties opening and downloading the file so I lined the tracks up into a 30 minute long comprehensive mp3 and uploaded that as well. That seemed to work better.

Video Editing

For my videos, I edited the Peale Painting and the Pair of Pistols. I chose to do the pistols first since that one would be the most difficult. We had a lot of text (2 minutes’ worth) and not a lot of footage to go with it. There’s only so many ways to film two stationary pistols and remain visually interesting. The first thing that I tackled was a rough cut of the footage I did have. Spoilers, it was super shaky from the close range we had to film at. After this rough cut, I stabilized it in Final Cut Pro. The voiceover we had from this was very quiet and had some mispronunciations, so Emily and I redid it. From this, I edited the audio to make it faster, louder, and clearer. I also took away from pauses to fix the flow.

From this, i added the voiceover to the cut. I brightened the images on the video and asses the title screen, then I cut the video around to stretch it further and have the cuts match the pauses in the voiceover. This still left me with about 20 seconds, so I inserted public domain images of the Oxfordshire la, and General Alvarez. After this and some tine edits, the pistol video was ready to go.

The Peale painting followed a similar process, but was much faster to finish up. I edited the audio, created a rough cut, stabilized and brightened the video, and added an image of Peale.

At first I uploaded these to my personal Youtube channel, but I thought that that would get confusing. I created a new James Monroe YT and google account specifically for this project and shared the information with my team so that we had a landing space for the videos. I also transferred the Roundaa account to this identity.

360 Tour and Hotspots

The hotspots were very fun to put together. I color-coded each classification of link that I had and created a point for each object of interest. This was easy thanks to our google doc ‘Link list” in which we kept all necessary links. Sarah also created the QR codes for these artifacts from previous projects. My hotspots were red for our own videos, blue for the Kinekt 3d scans, and white for the Google Arts and Culture spotlights. I also created a short (30 sec) medley of the pianoforte music from the museum in order to have an audio track hotspot in the pianoforte experience.

Roundaa is easily embeddable in websites, so I just copied and pasted the embeds under headers on the designated page of the website. I had my mother and some friends beta test the tour without my input to see what needed to get changed. Because of this, I added an annotation at the beginning of tips and color code information. I also had my teammates test it and we caught some errors with the videos this way. However, everything is fixed and functional now.

Ending

So I guess that’s it! We worked together to go through with a fine toothed comb looking for errors in each others’ work before we submitted and some little things on the website changed and were added. The about page got fleshed out, Kasey added intro paragraphs to the pages, and the images were fixed. If you want to check out our final project before Dr. McClurken’s edits, check out http://jamesmonroe.umwhistory.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published / Required fields are marked *